We Filipinos adopt many ways on how to fight the corona virus, mostly from the way we were raised, being in a country who believes in traditional medicine. Though cases of COVID-19 is still on the rise. Sharing with you my personal health routine on ways to boost our immune system amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
We all know since January, there were already few cases of positive COVID-19 in the Philippines, since then we took early on safety precautions on how to prevent the virus. Before the implementation of the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ), we were on a trip at Fresno which was located at Tanay. That was March 7 & 8, come Sunday after when we went down from Tanay (the cellphone signal is weak at Fresno), we were surprised with the news that there were already cases of community infection. We event went to Marikina the day after (March 9). With the announcement of President Duterto of the ECQ for the entire Luzon on March 16, I and my husband started counting 14 days since our exposure to the infected community (Marikina). During that week, I had an irritating sore throat, a low grade fever (36.6), and headache. I was so paranoid, that I began researching online the symptoms of COVID-19, how to boost the immunity, and other ways to prevent the sore throat from progressing. Thanks God, that after that first 14 days we didn’t experience any further symptoms.
So, I wanted to share with you what I did during those dreadful sore throat days; and how these methods helped strengthen our immune system naturally:
1. GARGLE WITH SALINE SOLUTION – Upon waking up, gargle with salt and water. If you have a very itchy throat, you can also try water and a teaspoon of vinegar. Gargle for 10 seconds. You can do this at least 3x a day or whenever your throat become itchy.
2. SUNSHINE AND FRESH AIR – Sun exposure every morning between 6 am to 8 am is a great IMMUNE SYSTEM Booster. Bathe in the sun for at least 15 minutes or until you perspire just like in a hot sauna. Find a place away from people and soak in the sun and breathe fresh air.
3. STEAM THERAPY – Don’t have area in your house where you can do the sun bathing? As an alternative, you can do steam therapy or simply the inhalation of water vapor. The warm moist air is believed to work in loosening the mucus in the nasal passages, throat and lungs. This helps relieves symptoms of cold and improves breathing. This is a long time tradition of our elderly parents whenever we have clogged nose, cough or fever.
4. PRACTICE MODERATE EXERCISE– You don’t have to join classes for this. You can try stretching, jumping jack, or try Tai Chi for lung and breathing exercises. As a start you can also try Basic Tai Chi. TAI CHI
5. SLEEP EARLY – Achieve to get at least 8 hours of sleep
6. EAT PLENTY OF FRUITS AND VEGETABLES – Load yourself with green leafy vegetables, and citrus fruits
7. HYDRATE – Drink at least 8 glasses of water. To successfully do it, try to drink 2 glasses of water every 4 hours. It is best if you are drinking alkaline water ,
8. AVOID STRESS – Meditate, rest your mind. Limit your time reading negative posts on social media. Try to enroll in online classes, connect with old friends or simply PRAY.
9. TAKE SUPPLEMENTS – Vitamin C, turmeric, and fish oil were among the proven supplements when it comes to boosting our immunity. Ask your doctor for other supplements that fits you.
10. STAY AT HOME – Of course, staying at home and avoiding the crowd is one of the best ways to limit our exposure to COVID-19. Limit going out for at least once a week, if you can why not once in every 2 weeks. Plus, make sure to sanitize your hands as often as possible when your out. And disinfect upon arriving home.
What steps have you taken so far to prevent COVID-19?
📸 IG @thetransportqueen